Wednesday 15 January 2014

IN ANOTHER CITY


When I'm in another city, or country for that matter, yes, I love to look at great scenery and architecture, but my real desire is to see how other people live.   I like to see the houses they live, in what they wear and above all what they eat!   You may have noticed that in some of my photos in past blogs!

Carmi, over at writteninc has challenged us to dig in our archives and show others what we see in other cities.   To see what others have posted, follow the link.





The Spanish love their tiled and mosaic-laid streets, but frankly, this one in Alicante, made me feel a bit sea-sick!



I know Spain is a Catholic country, and maybe more "religious" than us, but I just cannot see a street in England being called "Holy Ghost Street".   And certainly not having such a beautiful sign!



Streets in Mediterranean countries are built high and close together so that the sun does not reach them, and apartments remain cool.   This one is in Cadiz.




Told you I liked looking at food!   This is the fish market in Bergen.   I did wonder how the Norwegians actually prepared and ate the fish and seafood!




When you live in the Arctic, you can't depend on getting around on foot.   These snowmobiles are ready for action when winter comes.   We were in Longyearbyen in Svalbard way up in the high Arctic.    It was June when we visited there, but the mountains still had snow (you can just see it in the background) and there was a nippy wind!   It must be pretty desolate there, when the sun hardly struggles above the horizon for months at a time!

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'd like to be somewhere warm in the Mediterranean right now. Nice pictures, Gilly!
~

Bob Scotney said...

I've been to that fish market in Bergen and the answer to your query is 'excellently'. Beer and reker parties on board boats touring the fjords will remain in my memory for years.

caijsa said...

Beautiful palm streets and narrow alleys, I like :)