Tuesday 11 August 2015

RETRO

Its all things Retro in Thematic Photography this week.   When Carmi, over at writteninc suggested Retro for this weeks theme I looked round and thought "Oh, you mean all the stuff we've had for years and never got rid of!"    Not quite as silly as it sounds, as we've been married for nearly 55 years, and I've noticed that "The 60's" now count as retro!!

As they say, what goes round, comes round!   (Have I got that right?)

Anyway, I found some nice retro bits:-



This jug comes from my Aunt's house.   She was my favourite Aunt and I wanted something to remember her by.   The jug had stood on the front room window sill for as long as I can remember, and is probably older than me!   Its marked on the bottom "Trentham Art Ware"



The origin on this deer is obscure!   He was on the premises of the Consulting Opticians that my father took over in 1939, and stayed there until my father retired, when following the protests of my sister and I he was brought into the family home, and I collared him when both my parents died!   He is marked on the side "Skeaping Wedgwood" which dates him firmly into the early 1930's




And my own little bit of retro is "The Good Housekeeping Picture Cookery" which was first published in 1950, and which was given to me as a wedding present.   The cookery is as sound now as it was ever, but the presentation is delightfully 1950's!   The picture top left of the collage shows a lovely photograph of the 1930's Institute ladies hard at work!

Do go to the link above to see what other retro items others have come up with!  And thank you Carmi, for a great time I had going through the cookery book again!

9 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh goodness these are fun photos. Your last photo brings back my childhood memories and I still have a few of them left from my mother! Very delightful finds Gilly.

Linda said...

What an exciting post, and I absolutely love all your photos!!! I am a baby boomer (born in 1956) so thank you so much for bringing back some great childhood memories for me. :)

Gail said...

Wonderful pieces.

Alexia said...

Ah those are great objects, Gilly. I really like the white deer.

Somewhere round about said...

Stylish......quite lovely!

Bob Scotney said...

I shall have to raid all my wife's cookery books that she inherited from her mother - some as old as WWII.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

It's great to have something like that vase that reminds you so much of a parent, Gilly. Our house in W.V. is like that for me...in fact I almost used a pic of it for my "Retro." (It was built in 1973 I think, but very crude and old school.)
~

carmilevy said...

You've captured so much history here. I love that everything has a back story, and those stories trace the journey of your life. Inspiring!

carmilevy said...

Quick note to let you know how thankful I am for your note on my blog this week. I so empathize with you re. the temporary loss of broadband: We seem to rely on it more and more these days, and when it's removed, it feels like we've been cut off.

Fingers crossed you get it back soon: I so love your photos and perspectives!