Tuesday 16 August 2011

GLASS

Carmi's Thematic Challenge this week is GLASS




This is the view across our road seen through a beautiful glass ball we found many years ago.

It is a float that the fishermen attached to their nets so that they would find them later. it had been washed up on a lonely beach in the Isle of Skye, off Scotland's west coast. Miraculously, it hadn't broken, and despite the fact we were camping we managed to get it home in one piece. It has since survived three moves, and sits where the light can shine through it in my office, reminding me of the very beautiful Isle of Skye.

Unfortunately we didn't see very much of the island, as after the first day, when we explored some lonely beaches and found the glass ball, the weather turned foggy, and we could hardly see in front of the tent!

We abandoned our plans to go to the Outer Hebrides, and once we got back to the mainland the weather was beautiful, hot and sunny!

That's Scotland for you! One day I am going to get back to the Islands. I'm determined!

7 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Seagreen glass seems appropriate somehow. The only time I've been near Skye it rained the whole time. A novel souvenir!

Little Nell said...

Lovely object and an unusual shot. Even better that it was something you found!

Alexia said...

Stunning shot - I love this!

Mustang Sally said...

The shot itself is interesting but the story makes it even more so. What a wonderful souvenir.

Barbara said...

It is fun to find a glass ball on the beach like this one. Imagine the stories it could tell! With its ever-changing reflections it becomes alive with more images. Very nice!

Max Sartin said...

I love that glass ball, and the scene outside the window even though it is distorted.

carmilevy said...

I love your stories - the visuals buttressed by the context. And that glass is mesmerizingly lovely. Green glass has always been able to stop me in my tracks.